Monday, May 04, 2009

Ooh Baby I Like It Raw


I finally picked up a cop of Old Dirty Bastard's 1995 album, Return to the 36 Chambers (The Dirty Version). I worked at a Musicland in Stonestown Galleria, and my roommate worked at the Tower at the end of the mall. We had a promo poster of this album, and thought it was the most ridiculous thing ever. His name, for one thing. Old Dirty Bastard? And the album cover was a photo of his welfare card. I'm embarrassed now to think of how clueless we were about who ODB was and what an impact he had on hip hop, in his own crazy way.

I still haven't had the chance to digest the album, but the standout track so far is the single,"Shimmy Shimmy Ya."
I also got the El Michael Affair's latest album, Enter the 37th Chamber. They are an instrumental funk band who have performed with Raekwon, and this album is all Wu-Tang and Wu-Tang solo stuff, including an awesome version of "Shimmy Shimmy Ya." It's nice hearing the RZA's creations reconstructed with a live band. The piano notes on "C.R.E.A.M." kill me. Highly recommended.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Contributors