Monday, May 18, 2009

Head On

My fiance and I got into the Castro for free a few weeks ago to see the finale of the SF International Film Festival. We were looking at the marquee to see what was coming up when the doorman asked us if we "wanted to have fun tonight." The movie was Unmade Beds by Alexis Dos Santos, and it was basically about these sexually confused 20 somethings in London who lived in a squat and had random sexual encounters. I liked it, but it made me so happy to not be 20 and not be so confused and tormented by the opposite sex.

I proposed to my girlfriend last weekend, and she said yes, and in so many ways that makes me amazingly happy. One thing that makes me a little sad is that my fiance hates a lot of the music I love, specifically 90s punk and alt-rock. Superchunk is one of her favorite whipping boys, and she's always mocking that band. I'll have to find a way to indulge in my love of music without driving her crazy. I guess that's one of the trade-offs in a relationship.

On the upside, it means that songs like Superchunk's "Throwing Things" won't pack the same emotional punch as they did when I was single and confused.



On that subject, I'd love to get the Pixies version of "Head On" to be our wedding song.


It's one of those songs that perfectly captures the shock and exhilaration of falling in love. Where you just feel like running through the streets screaming with joy.That intensity of living. I especially love the line, "And the way I feel tonight/I could die and I wouldn't mind." Given Black Francis' screaming, though, I don't think my fiance will go for it. Here are the lyrics

As soon as I get my head round you
I come around catching sparks off you
I get an electric charge from you
That second hand living it just won't do

And the way I feel tonight
I could die and I wouldn't mind
And there's something going on inside
Makes you want to feel makes you want to try
Makes you want to blow the stars from the sky
I can't stand up I can't cool down
I can't get my head off the ground

As soon as I get my head round you
I come around catching sparks off you
And all I ever got from you
Was all I ever took from you

And the world could die in pain
And I wouldn't feel no shame
And there's nothing holding me to blame
Makes you want to feel makes you want to try
Makes you want to blow the stars from the sky
I'm taking myself to the dirty part of town
Where all my troubles can't be found

No comments:

Blog Archive

Contributors