Friday, June 12, 2009

What I've Been Listening To

One of my favorite passtimes is playing videogames while listening to music. This week I got to log a couple hours on Final Fantasy VI while listening to Superchunks Foolish. Floolish is their break up album, commemorating the split between the singer and bassist. It's mellower and sadder than their earlier stuff, and I like it. I actually got it a year ago, but have only now given it a proper listen. You can see them playing "Driveway to Driveway" here. Or "Water Wings" here. The album is full of hooks and great lines like "She pointed at the black clouds in the sky/and said that's what happens when your learning to fly."

I also got Thurston Mooore's 2007 solo album Trees At the Academy. It's sort of like acoustic Sonic Youth. It's not brilliant, partially because of some seriously dubious lyrics, but I like it well enough. You can see him playing "Fri/end" on Kimmel here.

He even does an acoustic thrash song, "Wonderful Witches."

Sonic Youth have a new album out, and I'm planning on picking it up soon, although I'm not sure when I'll actually have time to, you know, listen to it. Maybe as I'm clocking in more hours of FFVI.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Contributors