Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Cleen Review/Dilla Remembered

I reviewed Lancaster, CA MC Cleen's Small Talk today this week on RapReviews. I referred to him as a "nice Eminem." Good stuff.

My review is here. Here's a video for his song "I'd Like To Get To Know You."



In other news, today marks the third anniversary of the death of hip hop producer/rapper James Yancey, aka J Dilla, aka Jay Dee. There is a lot of hype around Dilla, but it is pretty much warrented. If you don't believe me, listen to "Workinonit", from Donuts, which you really need to own. It's one of the best instrumental hip hop albums out there. Just don't sample Dilla's shit: his moms is in all kinds of legal mess as she tries to sort out his estate and deal with all the lawsuits around stuff he sampled, and stuff he sampled that then other people sampled.

I love that siren. It's like Dilla talking from the grave.


Workinonit - J Dilla

No comments:

Blog Archive

Contributors