Friday, September 26, 2008

Scissors For Lefty


I've been going to a gym lately, which means I'm catching up on my hip hop, pop, and R&B. This morning they played the video above. At first I didn't know who it was, and I was thinking "hey, this is super catchy and cool! Who is this great band?" And then it turns out to be Scissors For Lefty, my friend James's band. Scissors For Lefty are an SF by way of San Luis Obispo band who do a sort of Britpop/indie thing. They are a lot of fun live and on record. It was cool seeing them on the gym's music video channel alongside Duran Duran, Nas, and Tiesto. They aren't quite to the limos and supermodel stage of their careers yet, but they did have a song in Cloverfield.

Anyways, it was the first time I had heard Scissors For Lefty outside of the context of them being my friend's band, and they totally stood up. They have a good sound and a great energy, and I think they deserve to be huge.

You should check out their website here, and then go buy ten copies of their two albums. Pitchfork gave their last one a 5.8, which is pretty high by P-Fork standards. They hate everything that isn't relentlessly obscure. Rock on.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Contributors