Monday, September 01, 2008

GRITS Review

This week on Rap Reviews I reviewed GRITS' Reiterate. GRITS are a Christian rap duo from Nashville who spell their name in caps, evidently. They do polished pop-hip hop with Christian-friendly lyrics. I'm not a fan of Christian music, or pop-hip hop, so imagine how I felt about this. I was complimentary to them in my review because they are good at what they do, but gave them a lowish score because I just couldn't get into it. To quote myself:

The pop R&B and club elements might excite more casual listeners, but they won't convince hardcore hip hop heads. The songs are well-produced and technically sound, but there is a overly-polished feel to the album that I wasn't into. Part of this has to do with the pointedly clean and positive bent of the lyrics. The chaste love jams and and sober, sexless party anthems have an anemic quality to them, and the album ends up feeling like a virgin margarita, containing some of the flavor of hip hop but lacking its kick. Christian hip hop fans will definitely want to cop "Reiterate," but more secular listeners might find this too sanitized.

If you like Christian rap, or are into more pop/R&B infused hip hop, add two points to my 6.5.

My review is here.

Living Dreams - Grits feat Jade

No comments:

Blog Archive

Contributors