Friday, January 28, 2011

What I'm Listening To

I've been on a hip-hop kick lately. Old school, to be exact. I traded in a bunch of stuff at Amoeba, and got a lot of stuff. I found Cypress Hill's debut album for cheap, so picked it up. I think Cypress Hill have about four good songs in them - after that you've heard it all. Those songs are "How I Could Just Kill A Man," "Insane In the Brain," "A to the K," and "Hand On the Pump." Muggs makes the group, creating a dusty, dirty, Bomb Squad smoking an joint laced with angel dust kinda hip-hop. I was really excited when I first got this, and then I remembered that all they rap about is smoking weed and killing people, neither of which I'm that interested in hearing about. I bought their second album Black Sunday when it came back, and then sold it back for indie rock in the late 90s.
I still love this song, with its "Duke of Earl" sample, even if they are partially to blame for Limp Bizkit.



I also got the Pharcyde's Bizarre Ride II Tha Pharcyde. Been meaning to check it out for about ten years, never got around to it. I think I woulda enjoyed this more if I bought it in 1997. It's early 90s hip-hop on a West Coast, goofy tip, similar to Black Sheep. It's a little juvenile, but I love "Ya Momma," if only for the line "ya momma gotta glass eye with a fish in it."



At the same time, I picked up El Guincho's Pop Negro. It's feelgood Spanish indie electro-pop. He has a crazy video for "Bombay." Q: What kind of bees make milk? A: Boobies!!!!



I've also been working on reviews for a mixtape by NY rapper NY Oil, an album by aussie rapper Maggot Mouf, and albums by Serge Severe Boac.

As always, more music than I can realistically process.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Contributors