Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Flockaveli

I reviewed Waka Flocka Flame's Flockaveli for RapReviews this week. I already got an email from a reader saying I scored it too high. I wrote him back saying I was all set to trash the record, but then I got into it. Flocka's lyrics are non-existent and morally bankrupt, but dammit if he can't rock a track. Maybe I just listen to too much crunchy grown-man rap, so listening to some ignit street rap is like eating an ice-cream sunday after a diet of brown rice and tofu.

One of my favorite songs is "Fuck Da Club Up." It's about getting drunk and fucking the club up.

There's a video of him playing "Hard In Da Paint" with a marching band that's pretty amazing.

It's Southern street rap but done well. It's not my favorite type of hip-hop, but sometimes those hi-hats and synths work for me. Like Big Boi's last album, which I finally caught up with. The Outkast member dropped a masterpiece of Southern Rap this year. One of my favorite tracks is "General Patton," which samples an opera chorus. Wicked.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Contributors