Monday, January 14, 2008

My Bad

I've started getting some feedback on my writing both here and at www.rapreviews.com, so I thought I’d own up to some mistakes I’ve made.

The most major is that I attributed a the quote in Jay-Z’s “Success” to Jay, when he was lifting it from Eminem. That’s the damn problem with hip hop – it’s so self-referential that unless you have all the albums and know all the breaks, you end up looking like an asshole. That’s also the problem with reviewing mainstream music when you don’t listen to it. Whatever – I don’t like Eminem, and I’m not going to subject myself to him just so I can catch references other artists make about him.

Second, Godchaserz entertainment wrote some comments on this blog in reference to my Christian Rap Still Sucks post, about the Jovan album they released. I stand by my review, but in retrospect I probably shouldn’t have said it sucked. I feel kind of bad about that. The title of the post is a reference to the “Corporate rock still sucks” shirts that were big in the 90s.

I’ve made other fuckups, but those are two I was called out on.

Also, MF DOOM’s Viktor Vaughn album is pretty good, and Edan’s “Beauty and the Beat” may be the best record ever. It’s pretty much Sgt. Pepper’s meets Endtroducing meets Madlib. If it were a woman, I might want to marry it. It had me doing rap hands on my walk home from work, which is pretty embarrassing considering I’m a skinny white guy.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Contributors