Thursday, August 16, 2007

Lil’ Wayne The Leak (AKA “Carter III”)

Lil’ Wayne, the self-proclaimed “Best Rapper Alive” dealt with a recent leak of his upcoming “Carter III” album by releasing a mixtape of a bunch of the leaked tracks. I picked it up last weekend, and while I haven’t had time to listen to it very much, I gottta say it’s pretty decent. There’s the Rockwilder-produced “Zoo” with it’s sparse beat, and the whole thing has Weezy’s trademark laid-back flow and verbal wordplay. My favorite track, and my favorite song right now, is “I Feel Like Dying”, a bugged out piece of psychedelica over a sample of Kama’s “Once”.

The lyrics go a little sumpin’ like this:

“I can play basketball with the moon
I got the whole world at my feet
Playin’ touch football on Marijuana Street
Or in a marijuana field, you are so beneath my cleats
Get high, so high that I feel like lying
Down in a cigar, roll me up & smoke me cuz
(I feel like dying)

Swimming laps around a bottle of Louie The 13th
Jumping off of a mountain into a sea of Codine
I’m at the top of the top but still I climb
And if I shall ever fall the ground will then turn to wine
Pop, Pop, I feel like flying, then I feel like frying, then
(I feel like dying)


I can mingle with the stars & throw a party on Mars
I am a prisoner locked up behind Xanax bars
I have just boarded a plane without a pilot
And violets are blue, roses are red
Daisies are yellow, the flowers are dead
Wish I can give you this feeling
I feel like buying
And if my dealer don’t have no more, then
(I feel like dying)”

It reminds me of the Beatles’ druggie stuff. I don’t know if weezy is really the best rapper alive, but he isn’t half bad.
pst

No comments:

Blog Archive

Contributors