Friday, June 15, 2007

Hammer Goes Hyphy

MC Hammer released a new album last year, and it is a full on hyphy album. The album, Look Look Look, features such tracks as “YAY”, “Hyphy, Dumb, Buck, Krump”, and “Doin’ Da Thizz”. The album is out on FullBlast Digital Music, and is available on itunes. Oddly enough, I’ve done numerous searches for it, and I haven’t found very much mention of it online at all, with the exception of “holy shit, this is so fucking ridiculous” –type forum postings, and Hammer’s own blog (mchammer.blogspot.com).

I’ve listened to a few tracks on itunes, and it pretty much sounds like most of the hyphy stuff out there, which isn’t necessarily a compliment. I’d like to think that Look 3x is not just a craven attempt by Hammer to cash in on the latest bay area trend, although I do wonder if he really is super connected to the hyphy movement. It’s totally possible, but I don’t know to what extent he has been embraced by the E-40/Mac Dre set.

Hammer’s album also points to one of the issues with hyphy – it basically degenerates into people shouting out slang terms over bouncy beats. “get stupid! Ghostride the whip! Ride the yellow bus!!!” It’s fun for a track or two, but you can’t base a genre on vernacular, can you? I have a few hyphy mixtapes, and that’s about all I need.

I’m not gonna sa y a bunch of nasty things about Hammer getting on the hyphy bandwagon. It’s entirely possible that he is just caught up in the excitement and energy that the movement has created. From the tone of his blog, he seems to realize that there are a lot of haters out there, and doesn’t need another. No doubt he has high hopes riding on this album. Alls I can say is, don’t go buying any thoroughbreds on credit just yet, Mr. H.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Contributors