Tuesday, March 24, 2015

On being offended

I was out of town last week and away from my computer and actually interacting with real live humans instead of being in front of a screen. It was exhausting. It was very refreshing getting out of my online rut, and taking a step back from the barrage of internet ire that I willfully submerge myself into on a daily basis. I learned that I was happier when I wasn't busy getting angry over stupid shit. I think I might continue that trend.

When I was in high school the group of friends I hung out with started to be a drag. Everything was based on making fun of one another, calling each other faggots, and being self-conscious pricks. I didn't like it so I stopped hanging out with them. It was lonely for a while, but in the end I was happier. And so I think it will go with the internet.

Anyways.

I saw a good post on Renegade Mother about the culture of being offended on the internet.

Here are some quotes:

"You announce that on a website or comment thread (or to a live human being) as if it means something, as if it’s some grand proclamation with relevance and importance, but all you’re really saying is this: 'I don’t know you and you don’t know me, and we’ve had two totally different lives, but your existence is not validating mine, and that makes me sad, and therefore you should stop doing what you’re doing.'"
...
But simply proclaiming 'You offend me!' is about the most useless, narcissistic, entitled and meaningless statement ever.
...
Am I so important that the world should bow and shift and change because my inner self is wounded?"

What she said.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Contributors