Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Mingus

I've been listening to Charles Mingus lately. I got a bunch of free credits at Emusic, so downloaded Ah Um, and was inspired reading Lester Bangs' biography to give Black Saint and the Sinner Lady another spin. This at the same time I've been listening to more abstract electronica, and the two genres seem kind of related. I'm also not smart enough to really get either, but since when do you need a degree to appreciate music? An ex once read me an essay some academic had done about why Satie's music was so joyous. It seemed to defeat the purpose to me to write a dry academic article on why music was so good. Bah. Says the guy whose hobby is writing about music.

I swear I'll write a longer piece about how I feel about Mingus later, but for now I just wanted to post "Black Saint." I don't quite get it, but I'm enjoying trying to figure it out. What do you think?

No comments:

Blog Archive

Contributors