Saturday, March 14, 2009

Sophie Ellis-Bextor

Phew, from crust to euro-disco. I'm getting ready to go on vacation in Italy, and I was reminded of Sophie Ellis-Bextor, who I first heard when I was studying in Pavia in 2000. Her first hit was with "Groovejet (If This Ain't Love)" by Italian DJ Spiller. It's a fun housey euroey song, and was one of the few songs they'd play at clubs that didn't totally suck. The clubs in Pavia were very collegy, and were prone to playing Kiss's "I Was Made For Loving You" several times in an evening, whilst wasted British girls made out with random guys, and other drunk foreigners (and always the homely ones!) danced on the bar. Ick.


Groovejet (If This Aint Love) - Spiller Feat. Sophie Ellis-Bextor

Sophie Ellis-Bextor looks Eastern European, but is actually British. She has a sort of upper-class voice, and does upper-class disco. The kind of music that makes office workers dance with their heels and handbags. Its' not revolutionary, but it was pleasant enough. She had another big hit with "Murder On the Dance Floor," which I wasn't a huge fan of. When I was in the Peace Corps in Bulgaria, her song "Mixed Up World" was popular, and while it's far from brilliant, I kind of liked it. I found it sort of comforting. Plus, she's pretty.


Atomic Kitten were also popular in Bulgaria around 2003. They do a similar handbag disco. I was struck by the fact that they all looked a little tore up, like they had spent a few too many late nights at the club, drank a few too many cosmos, snorted a few too many lines of coke in the restroom. I realize that's mean, but for a group whose main talent is their looks, they look a little rough.


They remind me of the Pussycat Dolls, who also look tore up. Plus their music sucks. Exhibit A. At least Atomic Kitten are innocuous.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Contributors