Saturday, October 18, 2008

Fucked Up


Fucked Up
The Chemistry of Common Life
Matador, 2008

Black Flag + MBV?

I spend most of my time listening to hip hop, but I still love a lot of non-hip hop stuff. I don't have time to investigate much of it, however, so I just end up listening to whatever Pitchfork says is good. Half the time the bands they like are too weird or obscure for me, but sometimes they hit the nail on the head. Take Fucked Up. Pitchfork just gave the Toronto-based hardcore band's second disc an 8.8, and I have to agree with them. The Chemistry of Common Life has the anger and pure rrrrrwwwwwaaahahhhrrghghg-ness of great hardcore, but with the added benefits of melody and well-crafted songs. The whole affair is washed in a layer of My Bloody Valentine-esque sonics, using multiple guitar tracks to create a thick wall of sound. Listeners might be put off by the lead singer's glass-gargling vocals, but I think they make Fucked Up's sound. With a more palatable and effete singer, Fucked Up would be in danger of being just another indie band. As it stands, they add a healthy dose of aggro to the tight-jeans post punk landscape.

Some people may find this album to noisy or negative, and that's their opinion. Me, I find it incredibly joyous and celebratory. There is something incredibly positive and uplifting about the whole album. Like all great hardcore, it also completely fills the soundscape, drowning out any other sounds, something which I've always found soothing. Plus they look like they do a wicked live show (and they just did a 12 hour live show in NY). They even add some pretty instrumentals to the mix. In short, if you can get past the vocals, this is an album to own.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Contributors