Sunday, July 13, 2008

Get yr folk on


By now I can admit that My Morning Jacket's new album is pretty fucking awful. I gave it the old college try, but I just can't listen to it, despite a few high points.

Luckily, my yen for countrified prog-folk is being sated by two great newish albums.
The first is the Fleet Foxes self-titled debut on Sub Pop. They basically sound like an atmospheric MMJ channeling CSNY. But in a good way. It's been on heavy rotation on my girlfriend's computer since I downloaded it yesterday.

The other is Oakland's Port O'Brien, who have the chaotic tendencies of the Arcade Fire with the quirky folk of the Dodos. I've only given their album "All We Could Do Was SIng" a few spins, but it's better than ok. Maybe I'll write a real review later.

If you are as heartbroken by the experimental sucktitude of "Evil Urges," take succor in the Fleet Foxes and Port O'Brien.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Contributors