Wednesday, January 01, 2014

Favorite albums of the year

Having a kid changed my listening habits this year. Most of the time I was listening to music with my daughter, often early in the morning. As a result, I listened to a lot of mellow music, old jazz, old Sabbath, and old soul. The other stuff was limited to my hour-long commute on Bart, which is incredibly noisy, with shitty headphones. Not a lot of room for subtlety or nuance. Here’s what I liked the most out of what came out this year. If I had to pick my favorite it would be the Colleen record. It is such a delicate, beautiful album and it made my 5 A.M. wake up times much more bearable. I would put it on, get a cup of coffee, and watch my daughter interact with the world in our living room while we waited for the sun to come up.
Cate Le Bon, Mug Museum
Chance the Rapper, Acid Rap
Colleen, The Weighing of the Heart
The Hunters S/T.
Rhye, Woman
Run the Jewels
Savages, Silence Yourself
Special Request, Soul Music.
Superchunk, I Hate Music
Tee Flii Annie RUO’Tay 2
Tree, Sunday School 2

No comments:

Blog Archive

Contributors