Saturday, September 01, 2012

Plural Clarity and One Sixth Reviews

I reviewed two albums this week for RapReviews that were both ambitious if flawed. The first was the debut from Aussie MC One Sixth called Electronic Mail.  He raps about romance and love without sounding cheesy or sexist, which is rare in hip-hop.

The second album was Plural Clarity's Clearly There's A Problem Here... He's an incredibly sincere MC, and you can tell he put a lot of heart and soul into this project. I was put off by the production values and his flow. I feel bad for giving the album such a negative review, despite the fact that I was just being honest. I hear so much half-assed rapping by MCs who think that tossing off lazy rhymes about their cars is good enough. Plural Clarity raps have an honesty and passion that you don't hear enough of in hip-hop. I just didn't  happen to love the presentation.

I've also been trying to digest Aesop Rock's new album and the new Antibalas. And trying to get "Call Me Maybe" out of my head. Fuckin' Carly Rae Jepsen.


No comments:

Blog Archive

Contributors