Tuesday, June 25, 2013

DJ Mustard and Tree Reviews

I reviewed two albums last week for RapReviews. The first is DJ Mustard's Ketchup mixtape. He's an L.A. producer known for his ratchet club beats. I liked his minimalist club sound, but the I couldn't hang with the rappers, who rap exclusively about partying.

I also reviewed Tree's Sunday School II album. He's a Chicago rapper who describes his style as "soul trap," and it fits. It's a combination of raw and soulful, street and conscious. It's the second amazing free album from a Chicago rapper that I've heard in the past month, the first being Chance the Rapper's Acid Rap. The year started off with Chief Keef's high-profile release, and Kanye just dropped his crazy, noisy new album, so Chicago has been all about it this year. You should go to Tree's website and download Sunday School II now.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Contributors