Tuesday, January 25, 2011

The Big Payback

I reviewed Dan Charnas's The Big Payback: The History of the Business of Hip-Hop this week at RapReviews. It's a great book. You should read it. Here's him explaining why he wrote it.


Remember kids: hip-hop may be made by black guys, but it's history will be told by skinny white guys. You've been told.


I also reviewed Ursula Rucker's She Said, which is the featured review at RapReviews this week.

I'm ashamed to note that I rated Waka Flocka Flame's album higher. Only because Rucker is performing in a genre (jazzy spoken word) that I'm not as familiar with or into.

Been listening to Big L's Lifestyles Ov Da Poor and Dangerous, partially inspired by The Big Payback. It's 1995 hardcore NY hip-hop. Dark and viscous as hell. Big L got gunned down in 99 or 2000. RIP.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Contributors