Sunday, April 19, 2015

Deep Thoughts on the new Kendrick and Record Store Day

Yesterday was Record Store Day. My daughter and I went to Down Home Music in El Cerrito to watch a bluegrass band. I didn't buy anything, although I have bought a few albums recently. I got the new Kendrick Lamar album, PM Dawn's first album (for a review), and a collection of Donald Byrd's albums from the late 50s and early 60s. My disc drive is shot, so I can't burn CDs anymore, which makes them less of an exciting purchase. I still like having physical copies of some stuff, and CDs are cheaper and smaller than vinyl.

I appreciate what Record Store Day is trying to do, but I dislike the jibber-jabber of it. I'm not interested in the gimmicky collector's items that only exist to separate you from your money. I don't need a pressing of Dilla's "Fuck the Police" in the shape of a cop badge.

But Kendrick's album seemed like the kind of thing I should own (even if the cover strikes me as being racist)(and by racist I mean anti-black). I love it, but dude, there are so many swears. Could he have not had every word be the n word? Maybe? No? Ok.



No comments:

Blog Archive

Contributors