Saturday, January 10, 2015

40 for 40

I did a playlist on Spotify to commemorate my 40th birthday, which was at the beginning of the year. It's forty songs that meant something to me throughout my life, in the order that I heard them. I was going to do a song a year, but really years 1-4 are a wash and not enough time has passed in for the last five years or so to have a lot of songs that really stick out as important to my life or whatever.

I start with a Woody Guthrie song that is one of the first songs I remember hearing. My mom had a record of his. "Heart of Glass" by Blondie has been one of my favorite songs since I heard it for the first time around 1980. My sister played the Xanadu soundtrack so much my parents banished it. My day care in 3rd grade had "Rock the Casbah" on 45. "Miss You" was just one of many songs my parents played over and over again at high volume while I was trying to sleep, and one of the few I still like. "Beat Street" got me into hip-hop, and I was lucky enough to come of age in an era when much of the pop music was being made by innovative and interesting people - Prince, Madonna, even Duran Duran. Anyways, enjoy.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Contributors