Sunday, June 16, 2013

Music for Little Girls

It's my first week as a stay-at-home dad, and I'm trying to find music that I like that my four-month-old daughter will like as well. She doesn't directly react to music yet, so a lot of it is finding music that seems to put her in an ok mood. Anything too aggro, angry, aggressive, or stressful is out. Add to that pile anything really noisy or offensive. I don't want her first word to be "bitch." What I've settled on is dub reggae, which has a mellow rhythm, some electronica, old jazz, and classical. I've also decided that 70s dance music is where its at: disco and disco like substances. It's fun, it's simple, and she seems to like it. I also think that some of the Ramones and Sweet catalogue could work - basically bubblegum punk music. And then sometimes we just listen to NPR.

In terms of hip-hop, it's trickier. A lot of the stuff I get excited about is either super vulgar, which is no good, or too aggressive. I love El-P, but it's not the kind of vibe I want to set for my baby. Not that I think it will damage her, but it's not the energy and emotion that she needs right now. Let her get into that when she is older and more cynical and jaded.


2 comments:

cutemess said...

I always wanted to play Marine Girls to a child... I burned a CD of it for my bosses tween daughter a few years ago but it couldn't compete with Katy Perry. Here's hoping that early exposure can cultivate an ear that is open to Katy Perry and the like but also to things like Marine Girls...

---Patti
(I read this btw!)

PST said...

Ooh, I'll have to check out the Marine Girls!

Blog Archive

Contributors