Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Side Effect

I reviewed Side Effect's Grown Man Grizzly mixtape this week on RapReviews. I'm working on about six or seven different reggae reviews for albums that were sent to me, some of which are pretty good, some not so much.

I also downloaded the English Beat's second album, 1981's Wha'ppen?. I had it on cassette, and I have a crappy vinyl version, but now I can listen to it on my iPod. The Beat were part of the 2-tone movement that included the Specials and Madness. Their first album was ska, but their second album was more reggae, and their final album, Special Beat Service, is a pretty good pop album. After the Specials, they were the best part of that movement, and Dave Wakeling still tours with a new band as the English Beat. They are ok in their new incarnation, a decent nostalgia act. I passed him on Polk Street a few years ago, which gave me a thrill.



No comments:

Blog Archive

Contributors