Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Musical Gluttony

As always happens this time of year, I've consumed way more music than I can reasonably digest. In the past two weeks I've downloaded one album, bought four records and two albums, and got two albums to review. I'm not sure when I'm supposed to be able to listen to all of this, and I'll be spending the next few weeks digesting all of the music I've pigged out on.

One of the albums I bought was Liquid Liquid. They were a NY-based post-punk dance band in the vein of ESG or the Rapture. Their song "Cavern" was interpolated as the basis for Grandmaster Flash and Melle Mel's "White Lines." That song is a pretty inspired burst of dubby bass and tribal weirdness, odd but still funky. Too much of the rest of the album devolves into no wave caterwauling, but it's art-damaged enough to be interesting if not always enjoyable. I probably only needed "Cavern," but whatevs.


Cavern - Liquid Liquid

I also bought the first album by now-defunt Nashville spazz-punk band Be Your Own Pet. It's noisy blast of catchy, snotty punk full of brilliant lines like "wanna a get a cat/my boyfriend wants a dog/gonna drown him in the bog."

Bog - be your own PET

I also downloaded "Theme For A Broken Soul" by DJ Rels, aka Madlib. It's Madlib's attempt at dance music, and while it is decent soulful house, it's not quite my thing. I get bored before I can finish a song.

The Doo (Do it) - DJ Rels

I also got review copies of Wax and E.O.M.'s debut, and the new solo record by Lord Infamous of Three 6 Mafia. Reviews should be up soon. Finally, I got four records - two double albums of Ella Fitzgerald singing Cole Porter and Rodgers and Hammerstein, an old blues record by Young Alberta Hunter, and the Go-Go's "Beauty and the Beat." It doesn't sound fabulous on our record player, but "We Got the Beat" still brings back memories. It makes me want to watch "Fast Times At Ridgemont High" again. Here's a video of the Go-Go's playing live in 1981. Belinda is still in her chubby glory, and they are opening for the Surf Punks, another horrible band I used to really like. Oh the 80s, so horrifying and so amazing at the same time.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Contributors