Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Lootpack and Von Pea Reviews



I reviewed two Madlib-related projects on RapReviews this week. The first was a review of Lootpack's 1999 debut, Soundpieces: Da Antidote!, on which Madlib was producer and rapper. It's a low-key backpack album, good in small bites but somewhat monotonous taken all 24 tracks at once. I like the album, but it took me a long time to get around to writing about it, and even then my review is a little terse. I don't know why. It does have an anti-weed dependency song, "Weededed," which is a little odd given Madlib's love affair with the herb. My favorite track is "Answers," which features Madlib's alter-ego Quasimoto:

Answers (feat Quasimoto) - Lootpack
My review is here:
www.rapreviews.com/archive/BTTL_lootpacksoundpieces.html


I also reviewed Von Pea from Tanya Morgan's free mixtape, The Further Adventures of Von Pea. I like Von Pea's laid back, slightly sloppy rapping style, but I'm more excited that he is mining Quasimoto's 2005 The Further Adventures of Lord Quas for beats. That is one of my favorite hip hop albums ever. It's like the hip hop equivalent of Sgt. Pepper's, Revolver, and the White Album rolled into one. There are a ton of crazy, trippy samples, and the whole record has a psychedelic vibe.


My review of Von Pea's album can be found here:
www.rapreviews.com/archive/2009_01_adventuresofvonpea.html
And the album can be downloaded on Von Pea's myspace page at www.myspace.com/vonpea.

Here's "Greenery," one of my favorite songs from The Further Adventures of Lord Quas. Ok, so it's a track about smoking pot, and Madlib duets with himself. Still, I love that beat, and the whole thing is wonderfully bugged-out.

Greenery - Quasimoto

No comments:

Blog Archive

Contributors