Tuesday, January 27, 2009

I Am Officially Over Lil Wayne

I'll admit that I was once a fan, nay champion of Lil Wayne. Back before the Carter III, when he was releasing a new mixtape every week, I was into his wacked out flow and penchant for crazy one-liners. His The Leak mixtape is a personal favorite. But dude has been sipping way too much syrup. Weezy was already wearing out his welcome in my book. Being stoned and rapping goofily about goofy shit is awesome for a mixtape or ten, and the Carter III is rumored to be pretty great, but at a certain point you have to expand your palatte. And so he has. By releasing a rock album. First he started singing, with the help of Autotune. Now he has a rock album on the way.

Why? No, really, why?

You can hear his first single here. Hint: it sucks. Unless half-assed alt-rock is your idea of a good time. I'm not saying a black man can't play rock n' roll. Many have, and many do (and that's not even going into the whole inventing the genre thing). But being a good rapper doesn't make you a good singer or guitar player. I don't want to hear Jack White rap, and I don't want to hear Lil Wayne rock.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Contributors