Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Bon Iver Meets T-Pain


Bon Iver
Blood Bank EP
Jagjaguwar, 2009

Bon Iver's new four-song EP Blood Bank came out today. I've only done a once-through, but it sounds a little more rocking than the debut, and sounds more like a band than a dude in a cabin. They are definitely progressing.

It opens with "Blood Bank," which features him singing in his normal singing voice, versus a falsetto. I think I love it as much as anything on For Emma, Forever Ago.

Blood Bank - Bon Iver

"Beach Baby" is delicate acoustic guitar with falsetto, and may have been recorded at the same time as For Emma. "Babys" opens with a long piano thing that sounded a little like one of the instrumentals from Sufjan Stevens' Come on Feel the Illinoise. I'm not madly in love with it, but whatever, I'm along for the ride.

Im not nearly as convinced by the EP closer, however. "Woods" features Justin Vernon singing with, yes, autotune. As in T-Pain, Kanye, and Cher. As in, not a good look. As in, I thought those weren't going to be allowed to enter 2009. I thought Obama specifically mentioned how wack autotune was in his inauguration speech today. There is no place for robot voices in an Obamanation. An African-American man didn't get elected President of the United States just so people could mask their true voices with an electronic pitch-correcting program. "Woods" is actually kind of a cool song, and sounds a little like a Daft Punk chill out track, so I'll forgive Bon Iver. I just hope their new album isn't full of this autotune shit.


Woods - Bon Iver

No comments:

Blog Archive

Contributors