Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Be Your Own Pet/Headcoatees

in the spirit of the Stains, I post the video for "Becky," by Be Your Own Pet.

Be Your Own Pet were a Nashville band who did noisy pop punk. Their hooks were good,but their real selling point was Jemina Pearl, the kind of cute bad ass that all the girls want to be and all the boys want to be with. They have two albums out. I've only heard the Get Damaged EP, which features "Becky," and I want to marry it.

Speaking of female-fronted garage punk bands, I've been digging up my old Headcoatees albums. Thee Headcoatees were basically Billy Childish's garage punk band the Headcoats, but with female singers. They mostly did covers, or dirty versions of Headcoats songs, turning "Come Into My Life" into "Come Into My Mouth," for example. My favorite thing about them was that they sang in French, and did a wicked cover of Plastic Bertrand's "Ca Plane Pour Moi."

One of my favorite songs by them is "Punk Girl," which I think was an original. It was on their Punk Girls LP, which featured their takes on various punk songs by the Ramones, Undertones, and the aforementioned Plastic Bertrand. Here's "Punk Girl":

Punk Girl - Thee Headcoatees

And here's "Ca Plane Pour Moi." Women singing punk in French=heaven.

CA Plane Pour Moi - Thee Headcoatees

They split up a few years ago. Ludella Black passed away, I believe, and Holly Golightly has turned up on stuff by the White Stripes, along with a steady output of solo stuff. The Headcoats, as far as I know, are still around.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Contributors