Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Serge Severe and Mic Crenshaw reviews

I have two new reviews up at RapReviews this week from two Portland rappers on the Focused Noise label.

Mic Crenshaw does politically charged hip hop with a lot of live music. I reviewed his debut, Thinking Out Loud. I liked that he uses live music, and I liked where he was coming from politically, but it didn’t always translate into hip hop magic. There are some good tracks on it, and it’s still worth checking out. If you aren’t feeling his music, check out his non-profit, Global Fam. They help war refugees.

Serge Severe does old school battle and party raps. I reviewed Concrete Techniques, his second album. He’s pretty good, and has a fantastic producer in DJ Universal Sect.

I hear so much bullshit, that it's nice to see two rappers doing something interesting and heartfelt, and not just recycling the same tired cliches.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Contributors